Friday, June 06, 2014

Full Steam Ahead - Book Review

When love simmers between a reclusive scientist
and a wealthy debutante,
will they abandon ship or is it full steam ahead?

Nicole Renard returns home to Galveston, Texas, to find her father deathly ill.
Though she loves him, Nicole's father has always focused on what she's not.
Not male.
Not married.
Not able to run the Renard Shipping.

Vowing to find a suitable husband to give her father the heir he desires
before it's too late,
Nicole sets out with the Renard family's greatest treasure as her dowry:
the highly coveted Lafitte Dagger.
But her father's rivals come after the dagger, forcing a change in Nicole's plans.

After a boiler explosion aboard the Lousiana nearly took his life,
Darius Thornton has been a man obsessed.
He will do anything to stop even one more steamship disaster.
Even if it means letting a female secretary into his secluded world.

Nicole is determined not to let her odd employer scare her off with his explosive experiments,
yet when respect and mutual attraction grow between them, a new fear arises.
How can she acquire an heir for her father when her heart belongs to another?
And when her father's rivals discover her hiding place,
will she have to choose between that love and her family's legacy?


My Thoughts

Karen Witemeyer has become a beloved author whom I greatly admire
and I am always eagerly awaiting her next publication 
because her books are truly a work of amazing depth and sincerity.
Karen makes you laugh, cry, hang on to the edge of your seat in suspense, 
and think upon the things of the Lord - can it get any better than that?
She brings all of these great qualities into her new book Full Steam Ahead
and does not disappoint.

Nicole is a beautiful young woman with charm, a backbone, and knowledge.
She is an incredibly likable character who encourages the reader to be all that you can be
and to do all that you can do for the Lord.

I fell for Darius' character immediately and I couldn't help but cheer for him throughout the book.
The pain he experienced on the day that the Louisiana nearly took his life
is so real, so raw, so emotional.
He thinks he can face the demons from that awful day by pouring his heart and soul
into boiler experiments, but in the process he isolates himself from family and friends.

Then sweet and somewhat stubborn Nicole comes along and softens Darius heart.
She's there with a gentle touch, a word of encouragement, and a heart full of tenderness,
but will Darius be able to see past his pain to look upon this precious treasure before it's too late?

"You don't understand, Nicole."
The anguish etched across his features brought new dampness to her eyes.
"I have to fix it.
I have to atone for my mistakes."
"There is therefore now no condemnation for them which are in Christ Jesus,"
Nicole softly quoted.
"The work you are doing is important, and I believe God led you to do it. . .
But when you continue clinging to your feelings of guilt,
this God-given mission becomes nothing more than self-imposed penance."
( pages 184 - 185 )

There is romance, laughter, suspense, and faith in this wonderful book.
I easily give Full Steam Ahead 5 stars - Karen Witemeyer did a fabulous job!

** I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Two-time RITA Award finalist and winner of the HOLT Medallion and ACFW Carol Award, 
bestselling author Karen Witemeyer writes historical romance 
to provide the world with more happily-ever-afters. 
She is an avid cross-stitcher and shower singer, and she bakes a mean apple cobbler. 
Karen makes her home in Abilene, Texas, with her husband and three children. 
Learn more at www.karenwitemeyer.com.

8 comments:

Sola Scriptura said...

This looks like a fun read. I enjoy reading all of your book reviews! Have a wonderful weekend!

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Wow, didn't know you review books! How cool. Am currently re-reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.
Love visiting you in your rose-filled blog. :) Happy Saturday!

Debbie Harris said...

Wow! Great review Stephanie! This is one I believe I am going to have to ask if I may borrow. I was hooked the minute you mentioned "you will laugh, cry, hang on to the edge of your seat in suspense, and my heart catcher, think on the things of the Lord". That got me! This sounds like a very enjoyable read.
Have a beautiful day!
Much love Mom

Delvalina said...

It sounds that Nicole has unique character and interesting!
Thanks for always give me info of amazing books that you have read.

Anyway,
I've been working to painting, renovate, rearranging my house the whole week sister, I missed the lovely guest posts from the laides but I should have time to enjoy them.

I will need to talk to you, hopefully Lord willing it to happen..I know you have been bisy and I kinda busy too.

Blessing to you sister.

Delvalina

Anne Payne said...

Great review, Stephanie! If I hadn't already read the book, I would definitely want to :)

Maggie Ann said...

I'm glad you love to read...me too! I've had the best time reading lately....our dish tv is down temporarily and I fell upon my treasured book collection with deep appreciation. What a great friend a good book is!

kathyinozarks said...

I really enjoy your book reviews too. I have been reading more since a blog friend told me I could get kindle downloads right on my computer-kinda nice when I live so rural
this looks like a good book to read thanks

kitty said...

I enjoyed your review, my friend, and giving it a five star is very impressive. I will check it out for sure! happy Sunday blessings to you. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...