Monday, June 09, 2014

Cornish Cream - Guest Blogger

I am happy to introduce you to a dear blogging lady that I met over a year ago through a letter exchange :) Dear Barbara from Cornish Cream sent me a beautiful card with flowers on it and a sweet garden quote inside. I was able to find her blog and since then I have thoroughly enjoyed reading her posts. Enjoy her touching heartfelt post today.
* * * * * * *
Thank you, Stephanie, for allowing me to be part of your lovely blog this month.
May was a month of remembering. Mother's Day always takes me back to my early years, and  I thought I would  write a little about my childhood.
I am blessed to have two Mother's days to celebrate! In England we have Mothering Sunday in March, part of our church calendar, a day when we come together to give thanks for our mothers.   In May comes another, Canadian, Mothers day. My sweet daughter, who lives in Vancouver, sent me a beautiful display of roses this year.
This time for me is a time to dwell on my childhood, my mother and her remarkable influence on my life. Widowed in her thirties, my mother tucked me, six years old, and my sister just a baby, under her arm and went to live with her parents. They had just retired to Cornwall, a lovely part of the West of England, and bought a large house fronting the water.
It wasn't till later that I gave a thought to how hard it must have been for mum, bringing up two little girls in a home that wasn't really her own. My father had only just taken up a University professorship, and in those days there were no huge pensions. Money didn't seem to be important and I do wonder now how she managed so well. She was a keen seamstress and we always had lovely clothes. We simply spent days on and in the water, playing about in our boats, exploring the beaches, and learning to love Nature. No television, just books.
Living with three generations could have had problems, but somehow our lives were just full of love and happiness. My Grandmother was a truly wonderful lady, full of the Lord, and such an example. She sang as she worked, which is how I know so many of the old hymns. She was a superb cook, and used all the produce from my Grandfather's garden. Her faith set my footsteps on the path to God.
My mother was artistic. She used to walk me for miles, telling me the names of the countless wild flowers. She read poetry and stories to me from the moment that I can remember, promoting my love of books. We would take our bikes and painting things, set off for a day in the countryside, ride for a while and sit to sketch. She set my footsteps on the creative road encouraging me to write, to paint and to sew. My love of gardening springs directly from her.
She was a person who made the best of all circumstances, never complaining, always having a faith that God would see us through. One of the biggest thrills for her was her relationship with my three children. She was a 'Gran' never to be forgotten. I only wish I could do half as well as she did.
So much in my life has been due to the two wonderful ladies who helped me to grow in the right way.   I still miss my mum more than I can say, but her spirit is always with me.
(Taken when I was about 8 months old, with my sweet mother)

* * * * * * * * *

Stop by lovely Barbara's blog

17 comments:

Julie Corbisiero said...

Hi Stephanie, what a beautiful post from your friend Barbara and her life. I will pop over now to take a look at her blog. Have a nice day.
Julie

Vee said...

Oh I very much enjoyed reading this post. And is that final photo not delightful? I just love mothers' expressions when holding their children. She is so very proud of her beautiful baby girl.

Now I am off to look for a Snickerdoodle bar...

Elizabethd said...

It is such a privilege to be part of your lovely blog today, Stephanie. Than you for allowing me to spend a few moments reminiscing.

Anne Payne said...

Barbara, Such a sweet post about your mum! I just love the way you describe your days, without television :) I wish more parents did that. We tried to have very little tv when our children were young, and I read to them all the time. We are nature lovers as well, and always took our children on hikes and walks, explaining just like your mum did. I appreciate you sharing these lovely childhood memories here on Stephanie's blog!

Maggie Ann said...

How rich and sweet....and shows how good character and godlly living brings forth more of the same. Your familly life sounds delightful....and restful. I liked reading about it =)

Debbie Harris said...

What a joy and delight this post was as Barbara shared so beautifully her life and love of her mother.
I must visit Barbras blog.
Another wonderful guest Stephanie!
Blessings!

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Oh Stephanie and Barbara...what a beautiful post. It makes my heart ache a little though, because my mother was not like that at all. Her grandchildren, thank the Lord, have wonderful memories of her. But the memories of my brother and me are decidedly different. Still, I honor her and the Lord had fostered much healing despite the fact she passed away in 1986.
Many blessings to you both, my sisters.

Denise said...

Such a nice post Barbara.

Delvalina said...

A very touching story :)
I just love Barbara's picture with her mother.

Wanda said...

Thank you Barbara for sharing your story...as you describe your walks and painting with your mum, I just got a picture of Beatrix Potter painting the little critters.
However...her mum was nothing like yours...

Love the picture at the bottom.

Elizabethd said...

I do appreciate your kind comments...and just to clarify , my name really is Barbara, but I use my second name Elizabeth when wandering round the internet!

Ceil said...

Hi Barbara! (Elizabethd!) How fun to find you here today.
I really enjoyed learning more about your Mom. I think you must have gotten your love of flowers and gardening from her. And what a determined and loving person! You were truly blessed with her as your guide and parent.
Hope your husband is doing well?
Blessings,
Ceil

kitty said...

What a lovely post honoring Elizabeth's Mom. I love how her spirit still lives on in her.

Jan Tanis said...

What a special way to honor your Mum, Barabara. Loved the post. ♥

Barbara Neubeck said...

.... beautiful post.... lovely guest ...
Hugs and Blessings ...
Barb xx

Robyn said...

Oh my, Barbara, what a joy reading your lovely post. It's heartwarming to hear of others' special relationship with their parents. Your mother sounds like a remarkable woman. Lucky you! Thanks so much for sharing.

Happy Wife and Mother said...

What a beautiful post. You life sound interesting and wonderful. How happy it must have been for you to have those lovely day by the seaside, with a loving family to support you.

The seaside is my favorite place in all the world.

:)Hope

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...